Sunday, July 12, 2009

Five Boxes A Weekend!


Join Nick and Sheila as they tackle five boxes a weekend.

Welcome to our humble home. It was built in 1929 by my great-grandfather. My grandfather, Thomas Bowe, and my great-aunt, Margaret Bowe, grew up in this house. After my great-grandparents passed away, my aunt, whom we called Sissy, continued to live here into her nineties.

Then my mother and stepfather lived here for years. My mother, Mary Bowe Koechig, passed away three years ago and my stepfather moved away. The house sat empty until we moved in two years ago come September.

When we moved in we inherited a houshold of stuff. It seems I got my packrat behaviors from my mother's side of the family. Unfortunately, my husband has the same hording gene.

Imagine what our house looked like when we moved in our stuff and mingled it with all the stuff that was already here!

We managed to Dumpster a big load of absolute junk when we first moved in, but that barely made a dent in the stuff level.

Now there's four of us here. Genny is five and Cole is seven months. And there's too much stuff to breathe.

So, that's where this blog comes in. We have pledged ourselves to clearing out five boxes a weekend from our basement. Nick estimates there's about 200 boxes of stuff down there. We are going to share our journey through too much stuff with you.

You'll share all the sorting excitement as we struggle through almost 100 years of stuff. We're sure to come up against all our issues as we sort and sift and decide what to keep, what to sell, and what to throw away!

1 comment:

  1. Wow! 5 boxes! Good luck with that! You guys look so cute!

    ReplyDelete